Friday, November 17, 2006

This week has been a flurry of inadequate sleep, irregular waking hours, and trying to cram too many things to do into too little time. On top of this I'm supposed to be writing a novel, remember? So here it is, 4:42 a.m. and I'm pecking away at the keyboard. I went to bed before nine, woke up thirsty before midnight after having dreams about Mafioso rodents, and have since suffered all manner of inconveniences.

First, I got a drink of water. It wasn't nearly cold enough. I went back to bed. My husband started snoring. I tossed and turned, got too hot and then too cold, and got up again to--guess what?--check my e-mail and get some minor online things accomplished. At about 1:30 I went back to bed, only to wake up my husband. He drank the rest of my water, went to get himself some more, and didn't bring me back any. Oh well. I found a comfy position and allllllmost fell back asleep when I heard

"Mommy!" It was more urgent than frightened, as if she were demanding to know why she had awoken. I laid in bed with her for a while, her arms wrapped all cuddly-like around my neck, reveling in one of the inarguably best moments of mommyhood, and she began smacking her lips. There's to express my reaction to that than :|

I got her a glass of water. She drank it. Then it of course was time to go pee. She insisted upon turning on every light in the bathroom (okay it's only two but it feels like eighteen at 2am). We chatted while she took care of her bladder.

"What did you dream about?"

"I think Shrek. And Over the Hedge. And Donkey." My child, raised not by wolves but by Dreamworks Animation and a DVD player, or so she'd have you believe.

I put her back in bed, whereupon she wailed not to be left alone. Her wailing triggered something in the cat, who began to wordlessly follow suit. At least one of them had an argument, he was out of food. The child was calmed, the cat was fed, and I went back to my lovely bed and its clean sheets. My cat, full but now lonely, would not be deterred. I mumbled an apology to my husband and tripped out to the livingroom where I spoiled the cat with love and read some eighty pages of Mario Puzo's The Godfather.

I had every intention here of describing my daughter's social antics for the past two days, but I didn't quite get there. Remind me tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Kristin Anderson said...

oh man. yet another awesome toastblog. the hubby should get you some evian. AND i had cats waking me up last night. and they had food even :(

although we both know i'm not exactly good at sleeping normal hours anyway.

you make me laffo. write that other blog now k?

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home