Sunday, October 29, 2006

The price of dignity.

Why is it that dignity, like trust, is so difficult to earn and so easy to lose all at once? Last night I was enjoying a rare latte with a writer friend at Starbucks. I ordered our drinks and my friend excused himself to the bathroom. When he came back we chatted for a bit and then I stood and announced, not quietly mind you, that I was "going to go potty, too."

He turned an admirable shade of cerise and the commentators in my mind were quick to run the replay. I turned and headed for the bathroom--panicked--and turned back to the table where I dropped to my knees.

"I just want to say I am really sorry for saying the word 'potty' to you so loudly. I promise I am just as embarrassed as you are, and if you like we can leave right now. I'm so sorry."

I was clearly worsening the situation by a) bringing attention to my discretion and b) repeating the offending word. He cast his full attention on his apple cider and I made my ungraceful exit to the bathroom. When I came out he was still there at the table, so I assume all was forgiven; thank goodness for small favors.

Just a word to the wise out there, you never know when the potty talk will strike.

2 Comments:

Blogger E. Kristin Anderson said...

o my god. POTTY. i say potty a lot too, mostly to tele. because he drinks out of the potty. and uses his paws to dip into it. i'll be like oh yeah he came to give me a kis today and had potty paws. and people are like wtf. at least you have the excuse that you have a kid.

12:36 PM  
Blogger James Midgley said...

Toast. Blolg.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home